THE WAY I SEE IT....THOUGHTS FROM JOHN FULLERTON ON LIVING THE WAY OF JESUS

Monday, October 13, 2008

Human Trafficking


When I was in seminary, I read two books about a ministry in New York City that sought to help bring girls and boys out of prostitution. The ministry helped rescue them and get their lives back, but the books told story after story from the perspective of the prostitute. Those stories have haunted me since then.

The reality is that as you read these words, 27 million women, men and children are sex or labor slaves in this country and around the world. It is a terrible and staggering reality. At this very moment, young girls and boys are being raped or pimped, children are being sold as slaves, adult men and women are being tricked into a "better life" in another country as a ruse to traffic them. Some are being sold for sacrifice; some for body parts. It is sickening. However they are trafficked, their lives are short-lived.

This is not just some far away happening. It is happening in America. It is happening here in Clearwater/Dunedin, Florida.

I have been praying. I have been asking God what he wants of me. I have been prayng fervently for God to direct me to very specific action I am to take as a follower of Jesus and as a man called to show the compassion of Jesus. This is not about me as the pastor who can get others to join in a mission. This is about me as a lover of Jesus. I do not know where it is leading me, but I am joining my voice and actions into the fight to end this horrible crime.

Lord, help the Christians get off their butts and help the 27 million desperate people. Lord, help me get off my butt.

I'm angry, disgusted and heartbroken.

No comments: