THE WAY I SEE IT....THOUGHTS FROM JOHN FULLERTON ON LIVING THE WAY OF JESUS

Thursday, February 9, 2012

Day 3 - More Around Galilee


I am struck by how small the area where Jesus ministered is. Israel is about the size of the state of New Jersey and Jesus spent most of his time in Galilee up north. The path from Nazareth (in hills to north) to Capernaum (a seaside city) was 15 miles. Much of the healing and miracles were at the cities around the Sea of Galilee (that's me on the sea in the picture
), which is 8 x 16 miles of water In one day, today, we were able to see three of those "cities" of his day and several other sites from the north end of the sea to the south.

Like yesterday, the day had so much information that it is hard to report it without sounding like an article for Biblical Archeology magazine. Today, we went on a boat ride on the Sea of Galilee (aka, lake of Tiberias). We then took some time on the Mount of Beatitudes where Jesus gave the "Sermon on the Mount," the name given to the first public address by Jesus in Matthew 5-7. toured the three "unrepentant towns" of Matthew 11:20-24 (Chorazin, Bethsaida, and Capernaum). From there we ended the day at the Jordan River where many even today were being baptized or renewing their baptismal vows. It is thought to be the site where Jesus was baptized.

We began to suffer from archeological overload by late afternoon. There is only so much the brain can absorb before we start getting goofy. That led to a lot of laughter on the buses. You had to be there, but when one guy took on the persona of our tour guide and while we were driving through the city of Tiberias said with a straight face that archeologists had discovered a dinosaur they are calling Tiberias Rex, we couldn't stop laughing. Not that it was hilarious, but in the moment after all we had absorbed it was.

The ride on the Sea of Galilee was great. I could have stayed there all day. At one point on the water, I could look out to the north in the direction of Nazareth from which Jesus came, turn my head and see the Mount of Beatitudes not far from us, and then look down the coast slightly and see Capernaum where Jesus ministered. Again, the thoughts from yesterday of how this was so unbelievably amazing rushed in.

I think the highlight of the day for me was the Mount of Beatitudes. Large crowds from the region where I now type this were gathering to Jesus. They had heard of his power to heal and restore people. When the crowds became too much, he went up on a hillside next to the water and began to teach them. We read "the Beatitudes" (Matthew 5:1-12) while we were on the hillside. It formed a natural amphitheater. As our guide explained, "we've tested it... one person can speak and crowds of people can hear." After a brief chapel service, we were left on our own. I sat on the mount, pulled out my Bible and read the entire Sermon on the Mount, all three chapters (Matthew 5-7). All the while, I was looking out on the Sea of Galilee before me, Tiberias to the right, and Capernaum to the left. I was feeling it. It was intimacy with God.

The three "unrepentant towns" was fascinating. As Jesus predicted, none of the three lasted. We were walking through ruins. And yet the ruins had much to teach. Chorazon gave us a good look at life in a first century synagogue. Jesus would have had a good enough reputation that he was invited to read the scroll of Isaiah. He would also have carefully timed his visit to the town, because that particular reading would only be read on ONE DAY in the year. Bethsaida showed us life for a first century fishing family. We walked the original street of Bethsaida, the exact same path Jesus walked again and again. It made me a bit weak in the knees. Capernaum, showed us a huge synagogue where Jesus had been and taught.

A sense of place of biblical territory is becoming real for me. I see the interrelationships of locations. I saw this with modern places as well. In Bethsaida, we crossed over into the Golan Heights, which was under control of Syria until the Six Day War in 1967. Bethsaida itself became a military outpost for Syria. I have seen Galilee - the land, the mountains, the water, the people, the cities past and present.

Even as I continue to read for the Bible in 90 Days readings, I am not reading it the same. You know how when we read the Bible, we read it in black and white? It's not a place that most of us have been, so it is words on the pages and in our imagination. I am already finding that I am not reading in black and white anymore; I am reading "in color." I see these places. It is an amazing change in just 24 hours.

The Jordan River is one of those places I now read about in color. We passed by it earlier in the day to get into Bethsaida in the Golan Heights. We ended the day, at Yardenit, the spot where tradition teaches that Jesus was baptized. We were told not to expect the Mississippi River. It was more like a creek by our standards, but it was the Jordan and everyone of us knew we were on sacred ground. I managed to fill up to water bottles with water from the Jordan. If it makes it all the way back home, I'll use it for good purposes in ministry at home.

Already, I'm beginning to realize that regardless of our fears or financial condition, every Christian would benefit tremendously from traveling to the Holy Land at least once in their lifetime. I have the feeling I will challenge you to start saving, arranging your life, clearing your calendars, and overcoming your fears to make this trip. I feel myself being transformed in these few days already. More importantly, my love for the Lord and sense of connectedness with Christ has deepened greatly.

Tomorrow, we go to Cana and a few other sites in Galilee before taking the two-hour bus ride to Jerusalem. I'm excited about Jerusalem. I will be praying for you there.

Shalom

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh John...when I read about your experiences, it brings tears to my eyes. I can sense the Lord's presence in your travels and your deepened spiritual closeness to the Lord. I feel your experience is deepening my relationship with Him too! Everyone I know who has gone to Israel has come back with a renewed joy and is literally a "changed" person. It must be amazing to see these Biblical cities and topography and how the scriptures "come to life" by being there. I'm so happy for you! God bless you and one of these days, I will be there too! I look forward to hearing more about your travels. Blessings, Debbie

Anonymous said...

It must be incredible and can only imagine what you must feel when you travel the areas where Jesus lived his life and preached to the people of the day. How inspiring and emotional as he was then you must be now as you walk his paths.

I can tell you that I am thankful for our "preacher" and the kind of man and friend he is. You continue inviting us to read His word, talk about Him with each other and to spread His word to others everyday. More and more I realize how important it is to be centered with Him...thanks John

God Bless you...be safe and enjoy the rest of your travels. Dave

Anonymous said...

Dear John
Walking every step of the way with you, Reading in 90 days has been a great joy and your blog is giving it more meaning. My roots lie nearby in the places you are traveling which this Bible study and your blog gives us something to look forward to each and every day. We are so glad you have this opportunity to walk where Jesus walked. May the Lord look after you and keep you from any harm,Jean

La Misionera said...

I am so happy you are there! I loved my trip there and I agree that every Christian should go at least once... although I am already planning to go again because it is so hard to absorb it all in one trip.