THE WAY I SEE IT....THOUGHTS FROM JOHN FULLERTON ON LIVING THE WAY OF JESUS

Sunday, August 11, 2013

Breakthroughs

Outside of the Frontline Church in downtown Oklahoma City
Sunday, August 11, 2013

Last night, a McFlurry milkshake from MacDonald's led to an amazing work of God.  We had spent the day working hard.  The team I led cut down trees all day and the team our youth minister Nicky led did more scouting (going door-to-door to see who needed volunteer help and praying with them).  They also worked in some homes organizing places that residents still had not taken care of since the storm.  After getting back to our sleep site, cleaning up some, and eating a quick bite for dinner, we decided to go to MacDonald's for a milkshake.  We were there for three hours. We completely skipped the evening worship planned by our site leaders.  God was on the move among us as a team.

You should know that the students on this trip are awesome. I am particularly fond of each of them (you "The Shack" fans will recognize that language spoken by God in that book).  I really am.  It's great to hear someone tell their story of what God has done in their life; it is infinitely better to be there AS GOD IS DOING IT.  I can't tell you specifics.  I am bound to confidentiality and, even if I wasn't, I couldn't do the moment justice.  Suffice it to say, some of them were working through some hard issues of life.  Imagine a person inhaling and never exhaling.  Imagine holding your breath as you deal with life's difficulties and never finding a good or safe place to release it.  For whatever reason, last night was a night to release it.  Last night was a night to exhale all that was pent up inside and it was beautiful.  God was so real, so close, and so powerful.  No everyone had that exact experience.  Some are still new to mission and sharing and being wide open to God, but at some point in the evening everyone was feeling something good and divine. And it was only Saturday. We have days to go yet.  I am particularly fond of these youth.

Afterward, no one could sleep. Even me, the guy who races the chickens to bed.  I dozed for about 30 minutes after lights out and then got up with my heart breaking for what some of these students shared at MacDonalds and how God was speaking and healing. Plus, I looked around and saw our students all walking around the gym where we were staying (divided by a giant curtain to separate boys and girls).  I stayed up for another hour and half talking with leaders and students about, well, just about everything from God to relationships to Minnesota (where one of the other teams is from) to sports. Everyone finally got to sleep, but it was late.

This morning we went to a downtown church.  It was clear from the pastor's message that the church regularly attracted seekers of God who are not Christians.  He addressed them directly several times to help them understand our God. The music was great, the crowd was enthusiastic, and our group were glad they were there.

This afternoon is a spiritual exercise that I am skipping to do some work I promised to complete for the larger church (Presbytery).  I've heard what is coming and they should be in the middle of an exercise to listen to the voice of the Holy Spirit as I write.  Looking forward to hearing from them later.

I missed being with my full church family, but was happy to be with a portion of them here in Oklahoma City on this mission journey.

Grace and peace.

No comments: