THE WAY I SEE IT....THOUGHTS FROM JOHN FULLERTON ON LIVING THE WAY OF JESUS

Sunday, July 6, 2014

All the Poor and Powerless

I read the first chapter of the Sermon on the Mount for my morning devotion. This is the beginning of several chapters of teaching by Jesus in the Gospel of Matthew. This morning I turned over again and again in my mind these words of Jesus: "Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven" (Matthew 5:3).

We have already come face-to-face with great poverty here and can imagine how such poverty may give rise to spiritual bankruptcy as well. While it is true that spiritual poverty is pervasive and Jesus reminds any who are feeling low in life for whatever reason that their "poor in spirit" has great rewards from the God who is on their side, on a trip like this I cannot over-spiirtualize the words of Jesus. There are the literal poor, they matter to God, and believers are to seek to improve their lives. 

In Matthew 25, a long discussion of those who are poor, hungry, without adequate clothing, sick and imprisoned is given. It is a futuristic vision of a day when Jesus will return and he will say that when you and I actively worked to relieve the plight of those in need, we were blessing and serving and honoring and loving HIM. And a reward was in store for us. 

As we start into this trip, and as I ponder ministries back home serving the poor, imprisoned, and marginalized around us, I am eager. I am eager to show in tangible ways the love of God to those we meet here. I am eager to love those in need, whoever they are and wherever they are found. 

Yesterday, on the bus ride to the hotel in Jutacalpa, I listened to a song that sums it up so well. It is by All Sons and Daughters and it is called All the Poor and Powerless. Below are the words to the song. May these words be lived by me today.  May they be lived by you today as well.  

All the poor and powerless
And all the lost and lonely
All the thieves will come confess
And know that You are holy
And know that You are holy

And all will sing out
Hallelujah
And we will cry out
Hallelujah
All the hearts who are content
And all who feel unworthy
And all who hurt with nothing left
Will know that You are holy

And all will sing out
Hallelujah
And we will cry out
Hallelujah

Shout it
Go on scream it from the mountains
Go on and tell it to the masses
That He is God
We will sing out
Hallelujah
And we will cry out
Hallelujah

No comments: