THE WAY I SEE IT....THOUGHTS FROM JOHN FULLERTON ON LIVING THE WAY OF JESUS

Sunday, August 5, 2012

Madagascar – Some Real Rest (Day 12)


We worshiped in two churches this morning.  We were only in each church for part of the service and were there for two hours per church.   The first church is one in which I preached.  That's me with the pastor in the photo.  As with last Sunday, I preached and Pastor Laurent translated.  I’ve learned that full manuscripts are best when working with translators.  I wrote a full manuscript and transferred it to my iPad for preaching.  Pastor Laurent took my laptop to the microphone with him and translated my sermon from there.  His translation as not word-for-word.  It was thought-for-thought.  Some ways of saying things would just not work here. 

We drove the borrowed four-wheel drive around this week.  Potholes are a popular feature on Malagasy roads, especially here in the capital.  Even with beefed up suspension on the vehicle we drove, sitting in the backseat was a painful experience on certain potholes.  I think my kidneys went up to my brainstem and back several times and I will return an inch shorter.  Kelly and I learned to sit in an Olympic skier crouched over position on the ride.  More shock absorption for the ride. 

The second church we entered after worship had been going for an hour.  I’m not sure what all they did in the first hour, but in the second and third hours, they had 12 students presented for confirmation, four offerings in which the congregation comes forward each time to bring their offering, the Lord’s Supper (we had it at both churches and St. Andrews was having it today also – loved that!), and a celebration of the pastor’s wife being commissioned as a pastor.  She was one of the 83 commissioned at the service we attended last Sunday.    It was 1:00 pm when service was over.  We didn’t stay for the lunch.  Pastor Laurent was hungry and he was the driver, so we went right away to the closest restaurant. 

After that it was back to Pastor Laurent and Diamondra’s house.  This afternoon was the first real block of rest we’ve had in 12 days.  It was nice. I caught up this blog and prepared for my lectures this week.  Kelly went over his lectures as well.  Diamondra and her sister went out doing “girl stuff” and brought her sister’s two small boys with them.  Pastor Laurent slept.  While you were in worship there, we were resting here. 

Tonight we had dinner with the widow of Pastor Laurent’s best friend.  His best friend died about a month ago and this was a chance to enjoy the long friendship between the families.  The woman was a bit of a gourmet cook.  I told her I would not tell anyone back home about this meal.  “I want them to think we suffered with only rice the whole time.” 

I think I’m getting a sinus infection just in time for this week’s activities.  Still, we are well otherwise and we are safe.  Many were concerned about our safety in coming to a country that has experienced a military coup.  Here, history has shown that they are capable of violence for political purposes.  However, as with Honduras, once you are out of the city few people are directly affected by political divisions.  There are no riots for political gain when subsistence living is the norm.  So far, we have spent most of our time in the rural areas.  In the capital city where we are now, all is calm.  We talk often of the situation with the government and there is not even a hint of hostilities forthcoming.  Even if there were, this is an internal national issue and outsiders are not targets for political statements. 

Time for bed. 

Thinking of you. 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

"Real rest" is answered prayer! We were thinking of you and our brothers and sisters in Madagascar during communion on Sunday. We remembered them (and you) specifically and our connection with them in the prayers and celebration of the Sacrament. Will be praying for your health!

Unknown said...

Generation Sunday at our Church last year!