THE WAY I SEE IT....THOUGHTS FROM JOHN FULLERTON ON LIVING THE WAY OF JESUS

Saturday, August 4, 2012

Madagascar – Back to the Capital (Day 11)


Wow.  This hotel was busy last night.  The hotel is right on main street and main street was happening last night. Somewhere around midnight there was this lovely family feud just below us.  Yelling and screaming in Malagasy.   Then the trucks would drive through town.  Not many of them at night, but still there were some.  And the protocol here is to tap the horn at walkers to let them know you are there.  Those horn taps were heard all night.  On top of that, my room was adjacent to a hallway with a light that you switched on and off as you used it.  Someone turned the light on around 3 am and I woke up thinking it was morning.  Not a restful night, but all was well.  A good warm shower, a clean set of clothes, and I was back on the road to Antananarivo, the capital city.

There is an interesting expression we use about someone moving at high speeds.  We say they are moving like a bat out of hell.  When you think about what a bat who has been to hell might have experienced there and, given the opportunity to leave, how that bat might fly out, it is a vivid illustration.   That was Reja our driver today (pictured above next to Kelly).  He was driving fast.  Safe, but fast.  We didn’t mind.  We were ready to get back ourselves.

In one town, we stopped to pick up a few items to bring home.  There was a series of shops we visited.  Whenever I meet someone here they always assume I’m French and greet me with “bonjour.” Most vazaha (“white guy”) are French.  They are a bit surprised when I say back to them, “Manoa aonoa,” Malagasy for “hello.”

I’m finding  out that Diamondra is quite the little negotiator.  I had a few items I wanted and was beginning to try to understand the price.  Diamondra came in and by the time she was done the price was dropped from about $15 each to about $8 each.  I’ve always enjoyed haggling in these settings but Diamondra is a skilled professional!

I did something unusual for lunch today.  I didn’t have rice.  I had French Fries.  I found myself wondering with all the meat they eat and now the addition of French Fries how much high cholesterol and heart disease are prevalent in Malagasy society.  It was a nice change of palate.

We got back into the capital city and went immediately to Pastor Laurent’s office at the seminary. He has something important for what I’m doing with these blog posts – high speed internet.   Also, I’m finishing up for my sermon tomorrow.  I’m preaching from 1 Corinthians 1 where Paul is dealing with the divisions in the Corinthian church.  Some followed Paul, others followed Apollos, still others followed Peter, and still others felt they had a special connection with Christ.  My call will be for unity in the church.  What’s nice is bringing this message from another culture allows me to drive home the unity we have in Christ.  Kelly and I are inextricably bound to the Christians here as are you.  It is our shared faith in Jesus Christ that makes it so.  My message will be along those lines. 

We had dinner with doctoral student named Alfred studying at Manchester University in England.  We were all still road weary from the trip and headed for bed early. 

Tonight we will stay at Pastor Laurent and Diamondra’s home.  They live in a walled in compound on about a third of an acre.   Pastor Laurent explained that most Malagasy never buy a home.  They buy a piece of land and build a house.  Pastor Laurent and Diamondra bought this piece of property from a student and began building a small home.  It took several years to complete.   Not long afterward, Diamondra’s sister, Ando, and her husband began building on this same property.  They live in the house next door within the compound.   While they have been away in America, Ando and her husband have been caring for the property and overseeing another project: the building of a guest house.  This guest house has been 12 years in the making.  You just build as you have money.  Lately, with the coup and flight out of the country, money has been limited.  Still, they have been slowly able to make it near move-in ready.  “On your next visit here, you will stay in our guest house,” Pastor Laurent said.  It is still a humble home, but it is nice. 

I’m tired, it’s 11:30 pm, and I’m up at 6:00 am and have a big day of worship ahead. 

Thinking of you.

No comments: