THE WAY I SEE IT....THOUGHTS FROM JOHN FULLERTON ON LIVING THE WAY OF JESUS

Thursday, August 2, 2012

Madagscar – Worship, Feasting, and Driving (Day 9)


We participated in a five-hour worship service today.  We got there at 7:30 am and left at 12:30 pm.  So no complaining about the length of our services!  Kelly King said he prayed for something he’s never prayed for today: he prayed that his butt would make it.  If I could have heard that prayer I would have given a strong “Amen!” Our backsides have endured much lately.  Between 30 hours of traveling to get here, the long road trips for this travel to the south, and worship services that the shortest one was over two hours long.  Today, sitting was bone on board.  The pews are simple wooden benches.  After a few hours, like Kelly, one prays for relief.  I prayed the leaders would have mercy and allow us to stand up.  No such luck. 

What an experience to worship with the Malagasys again!  The service was one in which 450 shepherds were ordained with the laying on of hands.  The worship service began with a processional of all of the shepherds who were all dressed in white robes.  The processional began in the village and eventually made its way into the sanctuary.  Dozens of pastors and lay leaders participated along with the rest of the 2,000 people in the room.  Lutherans and Presbyterians led the worship together.  There were two sermons, about six Scriptures read, multiple prayer sessions, a choir, at least seven hymns, and then the ordination of the shepherds.  Our translator, Elizabeth (pictured between Kelly and me above), who is a university professor of botany, translated every one of those five hours.  I couldn’t help but think how important this day was for the good of the Church in Madagascar.  These 450 people were trained, ordained, and eager to be put to work.  I couldn’t help but wonder what it would be like if everyone in every church throughout Christendom was that committed to Christ’s Church that they would undergo something similar. This world would not be the same.

After worship, we went to lunch with the dignitaries of the event.  A politician from the Malagasy government, missionaries from Madagascar to China and France, faculty members from seminaries, leaders of the Malagasy Revival Movement, and all of the pastors and their spouses.  The master of ceremonies let us know how meaningful it was that we would travel so far to get there.  He then asked Kelly and me to sing everyone a song.  It took me a minute.  Did he really just ask the two of us to sing?  Did he ask these two guys to sing who have been listening to some of the most talented musicians on the planet for days now, people who actually know how to sing well?  Yep.  So I stood up and started, “Praise God from whom all blessings flow…” Kelly and our interpreter, Elizabeth, joined me.  We belted it out.  They loved it and applauded loudly.   They then asked each of us to give speeches, which we did.  The master of ceremonies then went to others one-by-one.  We had to leave to get on the road.

We made our way back to the lodge where we stayed a few days ago.  On the way, there was a village that the road went through that was on the Indian Ocean.  We went to a beach access road, got out, and I got my wish to put my feet in the Indian Ocean.   There were breakers not far off shore and still there were waves on shore.  It looked like a strong current, so even if I wanted to jump in, I would not have.  Plus, it was cold.  After that and also on the way, we all watched the sunset over the mountains of Madagascar.  It was one of the orange, yellow, and grey sunsets that you just couldn’t help but marvel at the majesty of the world God created.

When we got to the lodge we were all tired.  We had a quick meal and went to bed.  When I washed my hair tonight, I realized just how much dirt we had on us.  Between the dirt in Ankaramalaza and the dust on the road today, I could scratch my head and have dirt under my fingernails.  The rinse in the shower was dirt-filled water.   Time for bed.  Exhausted.

Thinking of you.

No comments: