THE WAY I SEE IT....THOUGHTS FROM JOHN FULLERTON ON LIVING THE WAY OF JESUS

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Madagascar – Teaching Week Begins (Days 13-14)


I woke up thinking about two things.  First, the smells of Madagascar, especially the city smells.  I do not have a highly developed sense of smell, but I can tell you that the cities here smell similar – good and bad - to large cities everywhere with a couple of exceptions.  There is significant litter strewn throughout town and in certain places it has your basic trash pile smell.  Most notably, however, is the smell of smoke.  There are small fires constantly burning somewhere, either for people cooking over the fires or, since it is late winter here, warming themselves.  That smell hangs over almost everywhere we go in town.  It is not unpleasant, but it is pervasive. 

The second thought I woke up with was a note that Tina Smothers sent me about her young son, Jojo.  Tina told Jojo that I am here in Madagascar.  He has been watching the cartoon movie Madagascar and keeps looking for me in it.  I woke up grinning at the thought of that.  I’ll have to ask him if he saw me in the movie. 

In the morning we went to the seminary at which Pastor Laurent is dean of students.  In the morning, we met with a group of graduate students.   Most were studying for a Masters degree and a couple were doctoral students.  Each introduced themselves by name, city, and focus of their studies.  Also joining us was Pastor Cheong Kim.  Here is a bit of “it’s a small world after all…”  Pastor Kim knows Pastor June-Gyoung Kim, the pastor who replaced Pastor Wan Tae Cho who was at the Korean Church in Pinellas Park when our sister church relationship began.  Both Pastor Kims came to our Saturday night service a few months ago, and here’s the twist:  Pastor Laurent was with them.  Pastor Cheong Kim knows Pastor Laurent because Pastor Cheong Kim is a missionary in none other than Madagascar.  What a connection! I sat next to Pastor Cheong Kim today and then he took a group of us to a Korean restaurant for lunch (I had Bulgolgi…love that dish!). 

In the afternoon, I led an informal discussion about life in the local church in America.  As I was describing life at St. Andrews, they stopped me when I discussed Life Groups.  I explained that the concept of Life Groups attempts to solve the problem of superficial Christianity.  This is when you have Christians who are “3,000 miles wide and an inch deep.”  In Life Groups, Christians come together in groups and grow deep with one another, deep in their knowledge of the Word, and deep in their commitment to Jesus Christ.  This struck a nerve with them.  Apparently this is a global issue.  The denomination here planted 500 churches last year.  However, many of them are so young spiritually that it is easy to fall back into patterns that include their previous spiritual beliefs, an issue that the apostle Paul dealt with in planting the first Christian churches. 

I got a nice little gift after the teaching time – my sinus infection escalated into flu-like symptoms.  Achy, shivering, and feverish.  They took me to the hotel where will spend the rest of the week and I climbed under every blanket I could find fully clothed.  Somewhere in the night, the fever broke and I am much better today.  I did not journal last night, thus two days notes in one post. 

There was one fun outcome of my night of shivers.  Yesterday was Cile and my 29th wedding anniversary.  This is definitively the furthest we’ve been apart for our anniversary.   She was working until 8 pm so I decided to call her at 9 pm after she got off of work.  That meant setting my alarm here for 4 am.  I forgot that Kelly King had used the phone Pastor Laurent gave me to call his wife, Michelle.  So sleepy and delirious from a night of fever, I hit the last number dialed, hear a voice answer, and jump right in: “Happy anniversary.”  “Why thank you, John, but today is not my anniversary.”  It was Michelle King.  So just for the record, whenever it IS their anniversary, I called them from Madagascar to let them know I was happy for them.  Cile appreciated the second phone call I made at 4 am when I spoke with her.  It was good to hear my bride’s voice.

Today – Tuesday – was the first formal day of teaching.  We went to a large church in town.  That is the church as students were coming in this morning in the photo above.  I’m guessing about 100 people, mostly graduate students who are also pastors, were in attendance.  Every event begins with worship – singing, Scriptures, message, prayers – and this was no exception.  The seminary sponsors this weeklong event and the Institute for Music, Liturgy, and Multimedia led today’s session.  There were a number of speakers for the day and I was the second of the morning.  Pastor Laurent asked me to speak about “holy and liberating worship” and how our own worship at St. Andrews is exactly that.  For him, that is what stands out about our worship.  He asked me to talk about the various methods we use to make such worship a reality, including the Internet and audio and visual media.  I had an hour-long presentation including translation and another hour of questions and answers.  I was told that it gave many of them practical ideas for worship that were rooted in strong theology.  Their many questions confirmed it for me.

The afternoon session I was up front as a “resource person,” meaning if something came up, I could speak to the question or issue.   The subject of the afternoon was about helping pastors with church music.  They covered issues like a new digital resource that will play the tunes of all of the hymns in their hymnal so pastors will know it before they select it for worship.  Also, they talked about the influence of the unique “Malagasy style” of music and lyrics that were influenced by the revival movement we went to last week.  The best part was they brought in a collection of musicians who helped demo what they were talking about, including the Tana Gospel Choir we saw last week.  They are not only good performers, but, I found out today, they are also all trained musicians.  They can all read, write, and play music.  They all know music theory.  Now I’m even more impressed.

They took up an offering this afternoon.  The pastor of the church called for it and he said that anytime we give to God there should be joy in our heart when we do so.  We are giving to God!  We are giving for the best cause in the world! Let it show!  He said music can help with that.  And then we had one of the most enjoyable offerings I’ve ever experienced.  The pastor invited people to come to the front with their offering (standard practice for the churches here), the band and choir to start singing, and the people to dance their way forward.  I have no idea what the lyrics were, but imagine coming forward with your offering while a song plays like “Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy” or Dexter Poindexter’s “Hot, Hot, Hot” or any conga line at a wedding reception and you’ll get close to the feel of the room.  People were dancing and smiling and raising their hands.  I looked up and the pastor was behind the communion table on the platform doing a little cha-cha an smiling from ear-to-ear.  I told Pastor Laurent that since this is a Malagasy thing, when he gets back I want him to dance while people dance their offerings to the front.

We went back to Pastor Laurent and Diamondra’s for dinner.  This was a special meal.  Diamondra is flying back to the U.S. tonight.  The two of them would be apart from each other for another few weeks. Plus, with the political situation here one never knows what could change. It has been three years since Diamondra saw her family.  While the environment now is relatively peaceful, one political act could change things and she may not see her family for years again.  That hung in the air tonight as we ate.  

I’m feeling much better now.  Thanks to Carol White who loaded me with cold medicine before we left, I am treating symptoms for a cold and that’s it.   Time for rest. 

Thinking of you. 

No comments: